I had more success this week than the week before, technologically. I also met my objectives on the research front. I began looking through the Fred Landon book, Ontario’s African-Canadian Heritage: Collected Writings by Fred Landon, 1918-1967. I decided to start with the earliest article in the book, published in 1918, entitled “The History of the Wilberforce Refugee Colony in Middlesex County.” I noticed two things. First, some of the articles had no endnote references. For example, articles published in the London Free Press did not use endnotes. However, articles published in The Journal of Negro History did use endnotes. Second, my early impression is that the content and tone of this 1918 article is consistent with the content and tone of Benjamin Drew’s accounts in his 1856 book, A north-side view of slavery: The refugee; or, The narratives of fugitive slaves in Canada related by themselves.
I also was successful in finding an article by Justice William Renwick Riddell. It is entitled “The Slave in Upper Canada,” and was published in The Journal of Negro History in 1919. I have not yet read it, but hope it will reveal more about Canada’s continued support for Blacks (or lack of it) from a legal perspective.
In my previous blog, I mentioned that by installing the Doc Viewer plug-in on my exhibit, I was able to view a picture. That reminded me of something in my notes from the Cohen and Rosenzweig article on presenting digital history on the web. Not only had I made a note to include the Doc Viewer plug-in, but also to include the Simple Pages and the Exhibit Builder plug-ins. So, throwing caution to the wind, I installed both and quickly created a new Simple Page, a collection, an exhibit, a section and a page within the section. It was a bit unclear to me initially how all these objects relate to each other, but I have arrived at what I think is the right set of relationships. See below…
But despite all of this new stuff in my exhibit, my picture was still showing up buried at the bottom to the Item screen. The Omeka help desk advised me that my picture should not be JPG format but rather GIF or TIF or PNG. It took me a while to figure out how to save my picture as PNG, but once done and uploaded to the site, it opened perfectly above the caption and text on my new exhibit page. I added another picture of a map, just to test out the new method, and it is now there too.
So this coming week I will see if I can organize all this new material a bit better. I will also continue to review the Fred Landon book and try to also look at the Justice Riddell article.