In my third week I made good progress on a couple of things. I continued to work on my Project Proposal, adding some historical background by way of an introduction. I expect to have it ready for submission on October 15. I also created my Omeka account but have not yet begun creating a website. I decided to read up a bit on website design and noticed that Omeka recommended Daniel Cohen and Roy Rosenzweig’s book Digital History: A Guide to Gathering, Preserving, and Presenting the Past on the Web. This was the same book that Professor Graham recommended so I have been going through it and getting some ideas about design and copyright.
It seems that copyrights may become an issue for this project since I have no budget to pay for them, and will have to limit myself to trying to get free permissions. It seems that copyrights are a complicated business, including what requires a copyright and what just needs a citation.
I also had a problem with this post. In fact, this is the second time I’ve written this. I tried to publish the same post before and it disappeared. This time I will keep at copy before pressing “Publish Post” so I won’t have to type it all out again. Not sure what happened to the last one.
Professor Graham also posted a comment recently suggesting I look at a couple of other things, and I intend to do that this week, as well as to finalize the Project Proposal.