I spent all my time this week working on the exhibit and no time, really, on the essay, besides organizing my thoughts. For the exhibit, I have mostly written a narrative that will tell the story of the exhibit. Before, my exhibit was just an introduction, followed by scattered images, with details about each image. Now I have a more cohesive narrative which will go with the images and tie them together.
I also found a number of new images. There is practically nothing available from the 1600s, but I have found a map of Samuel de Champlain’s 1605 Port Royal Habitation. This is the location where the first known black person – Mathieu Da Costa – spent time working as a translator on Champlain’s expedition.
I also created a map animation showing where black people came from when they came to Canada in the 1600s and 1700s. This is to show that they didn’t come as refugees from the U.S., as they did later. And they didn’t come in slave ships from Africa during the transatlantic slave trade. Instead they were brought by their owners from Europe and the U.S., as refugees from Jamaica, and as United Empire Loyalists.
For the 20th century, I found an image of Viola Desmond, a black entrepreneur who fought for her right to sit in the white section of a movie theatre in Nova Scotia in 1946. I would still like to find a few more images for this period. But since there are so many available, I want to find images with some significance.
I have also been talking to Professor Graham about switching my exhibit to the more advanced Omeka product. I am presently using Omeka.Net which is free, but fairly basic in terms of its features. Omeka.Org has greater flexibility, so I understand.
So this coming week, I want to finalize my narrative and ensure that I have enough – and the right – images for my exhibit. I would also like to make some more progress on my historiographical essay.