This has been a busy week. I finalized my draft historiographical essay and submitted it to Professors Miller and Graham on Monday. It ended up being about six pages longer than I’d planned but I guess I just had a lot to say. So I’m still on track to have it finalized and done by March 21, per my original project proposal. Drs. Miller and Graham and I are to meet on March 14 to discuss it and the online exhibit.
With respect to the exhibit, I’m made some reasonable progress on it. I have been able to get logged in and have created my main exhibit structure and appearance. I’ve also added about 6 “items” which form the beginnings of my main collection. As I enter the items, I have begun populating my exhibit.
I wanted to embed a picture in the main page and found a way, using html to insert an image from the collection into the text. Unfortunately, this only seems to work on the main (title) page of the exhibit. I haven’t been able to figure out how to embed a picture in the text of an exhibit page. I’ve tried various html approaches. And I’ve tried linking into a nested simple page. Next I’m going to try creating a different exhibit page layout to see if other layouts have more flexibility.
Basically, I want each of my exhibit pages to provide a list of images with accompanying text. This is easy to do as long as I don’t need more than 8 images. In one case I want 12 images, and in another case I want 17 images. So I thought I might double up some of the images by inserting extra images into the text box. I can do it, but when I save my work, Omeka strips out the images.
I’ve been checking out plugins and other documentation but haven’t had any success so far. So I’ll continue plugging away at it. In the worst case scenario I’ll change the format of my exhibit to have more pages, each with fewer images.