This week has been largely devoted to my film but I also spent a bit of time on my Reflective Essay. I find I have many ideas, and they change from week to week. But my general thinking is that I want to talk first about the research side of the project – the history, and then to theorize the film-making side of the project.
The film is relatively complete, but I am going to take some time away from it now. I think I need to have some distance from it, so that I can approach it with new (-ish) eyes. I will go in again next week to finalize it. I also want to create a trailer, since that seems to be what the Montreal International Film Festival wants. Ultimately, I am going to be about 2 weeks ahead of schedule on the film part of the project (relative to my work plan) but I needed to do that since the edit suites close for use on April 10. And this will allow me time to work on my Reflective Essay (and another Take-home Exam.)
In my historiography class we’ve been talking about the Borderlands approach, and I realize that my whole project operates within that zone and that approach. It can be seen geographically, in the 19th century migration of African Americans back and forth across the US – Canada border, and the evolution of each nation’s laws respecting extradition and protection, and of separation, control and repression. But my project also seems to reflect a “virtual borderland” within Canada West. It is a borderland that lies between the races, as well as within the Black community in Canada West: a borderland between freeborn and newly-free. Mary Ann Shadd might also have seen a virtual borderland (although she wouldn’t have called it that) between the segregationists and the non-segregationists (such as herself), as well as between men and women; all of these, including race, being human-constructed borderlands.
Today I spent the day in the edit suites – as I have much of this week – and the film is coming along well. I need to find some more sounds of demolition while I’m at home. The demolition video that I bought and downloaded is ‘silent film’ so I have to supply all the corresponding sounds and fit them into the timeline so that they match the visual action. Right now, I’m re-using the same crash sounds too often, and you notice – well I notice – the repetition. I also want to re-record the poems. And there are a slew of other problems that need attention. My plan is to have the film complete – or at least close to complete – by the end of next week so that I can devote time to my paper, as well as my other coursework.