I think the light is at the end of the tunnel – at least for the film. I was in the edit suites for the whole day yesterday putting some final touches on the film and making a 3-minute trailer. I realized once I got home that I need to make another edit to the credits, but I was going to have to go in again anyway. The media guys apparently do a sound levelling assessment, so I will need to go in to listen to that.
I also need to buy myself some portable storage media. The complete high resolution film requires 30 Gb of storage, and even the compressed “Youtube” version is 4.6 Gb. As well, if I want to keep the entire project as an editable library, I need a 500 Gb hard drive. So I have some purchases to make.
Meanwhile, I’ve made a bit more progress on the Reflective Essay and have been writing about James C. Scott’s “hidden transcripts” from the book loaned to me by Dr. Walsh entitled Domination and the Arts of Resistance: Hidden Transcripts. I’m planning this weekend to spend some time looking at the book that Dr. Miller suggested, Michel-Rolph Trouillot’s Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History. My challenge over the next week is going to be getting time to myself to work: John (my partner) retired as of yesterday and his presence around the house is a distraction. I guess it’s just a lucky thing that he didn’t retire last September.
I think I must be succumbing to the stress of this term. I feel certain that I wrote a blog post last week but it is not anywhere to be found. So… a lot has happened. There was a huge flurry of organization from Jan 29 to Feb 5 getting ready for the interviews in Toronto. Questions sent. Times confirmed. Room organized. Camera equipment confirmed and collected from Media Productions. Hotel booked.
On Feb 6 at 7am, John and I set off in my little Matrix for Toronto in a blinding snow storm. After a 5-hour, white-knuckle trip, we arrived at Archives of Ontario. Everything went as planned. Everybody showed up. The equipment all worked. A couple of surprises happened that may affect whose interviews get included but, overall, a success.
After a nice but short one-night and one-morning in Toronto, we got back in the car and had an only-slightly-less-white-knuckle trip home. Interviews downloaded off the camera. And camera equipment returned on Monday.
This week I have begun the process of fitting these recent interviews into the Treatment. I also included Dr. Miller’s comments into the Treatment and scheduled a meeting with both Dr. Miller and Dr. Walsh for next week.
Finally, today I spent the whole day at an editing workshop offered by Media Productions. It was a lot of time to commit but I think it will pay off when I come to edit the film. The editing software, Final Cut Pro, has a million features and this refresher course was really helpful.
So this week I will be pushing ahead getting the rest of the interviews into the Treatment. I need to confirm if one of the interviews is going to be usable, but I’m going to go ahead and use the other two interviews in the meantime. I also need to begin working on the Script. It is causing me no end of stress knowing that it is due on Feb 26 and I haven’t started it yet. (Esp since I have something else that isn’t started due on Feb 24 and something else that isn’t started due on March 3.) I can’t really push back the dates either. I found out today that the editing suites are going to be closed from April 10 onwards, and I’m sharing the six suites with six other groups of students. And on top of that, Media Productions closes the editing suites at 4pm and on weekends, so the access is pretty limited. Okay … I have to stop writing now because I’m beginning to hyperventilate!